Monday, November 2, 2009

We're conversing!!

It has been amazing watching Reese learn new words. I am utterly amazed at all the words he knows in his 18 months of life. Even more amazing is how he will hear a word, tuck it away in that little brain of his and bring it back out weeks later - SURPRISE!!

As amazed as I am at his growing vocabulary and language skills, I was blown away the other day. We had our first . . . . conversation. That's right - up till now it has always been one word here and there (with the occasional 2 words put together)- usually him requesting something or pointing something out, but the other day it turned into something more.

He innocently walked into the kitchen, pointed at the cantaloupe and said, "cant"
I said, "yes, that is a cantaloupe".
To which he replied, yes REPLIED, "have?"
I said, "No, not right now" and
he said, "later?"
You betcha buddy - we can definetly have that cantaloup later!!!

We had our second conversation 2 days later which was even cuter. I went to get him out of his crib in the morning and he said, "Dada?"
I said, "Dada's at work".
Reese said, "home"
I said, "No, he's at work"
Again Reese said, "Home, Home"
"I know you want him to come home, but Dada is at work, he'll be home later."
"Oh, NO!" said Reese as he threw his arms down at his side.

I could've hugged him to pieces that morning!!

How do they do it? How do they so easily transition from one word to the back and forth banter? Crazy!!! Amazing!!! And totally awesome!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment